This page explains how to install Zoom in order to take part in a Zoom Virtual Knowledge Café.
Zoom has many features and functions that you will never need to use to take part in a simple video meeting such as virtual Knowledge Café.
The version of Zoom you need is free, but you will need to sign up and download the Zoom desktop app (either Windows or Mac) to take part in a virtual Café.
There are also iOS and Android apps that work well, but I recommend that for the virtual Café you use a desktop version of Zoom if possible.
I suggest you install Zoom on a personal device if the organization you work for prohibits the download of non-authorised software to your company device.
The setup process is relatively straightforward, and you should have no problem following the on-line instructions but here is a step by step guide if you should need it:
- Sign up for Zoom by entering your email address here:
- Zoom will send you an email to your email address.
- Click the “Activate Account” button in that email to begin using Zoom.
- You will be taken to the Zoom Activation form where you should fill in your details and click “Continue.”
- On the next page – you don’t want to invite anyone so click “Skip this Step.”
- Then click on “Host a Meeting” and the Zoom desktop app will automatically download. Follow the instructions to install it once it has downloaded.
- Now Sign in with your email and password that you entered earlier.
- You can now explore the features of the Zoom Meeting Window if you wish.
- When you have finished, close the window by clicking “End Meeting” at the bottom right-hand corner of the window.
That’s it – Zoom is installed, and from now on, Zoom will automatically start when you start your desktop, and you can access the Zoom control panel by clicking the blue Zoom icon at the bottom of your screen.
- In your browser, go to your Zoom profile page and upload your photo to your profile.
Connecting with David Gurteen
It will make communication easier if you connect with me on Zoom.
To connect, send me by email (email@example.com) the email address that you used to sign up to Zoom, and I will send you a Zoom contact request.
Accept this request, and we are connected.
Once connected, from your Zoom app home screen, you can start a video meeting yourself from the “Home” tab by clicking on the large orange “Start with Video” button.
When the meeting window is opened, click on the “Invite” icon at the bottom of the screen. Then click on the “Invite by Contacts” at the top of the pop-up window followed by selecting my name and clicking on the blue Invite button. If I am on-line, we will be connected.
Checking your hardware
It is impossible to resolve any technical problems that you may have at the time of a Café without disrupting the event, and so it is essential that you test your system for any video/audio problems before the Café.
I run frequent Zoom check-out meetings to help with this.
Receiving an Invite to a Zoom Meeting
You will receive your invite to a Zoom Café by email which will include a link that looks like this:
Click the link and you will be taken straight through to the meeting.
You may be held in a waiting room for a few minutes before being let into the main room.